Battered, Bittered, Bettered.

At the outset, let me clearly state that this is not a success story. This is a journey. If you are here to look for guidelines, motivational quotes or any sort of encouragement regarding UPSC preparation, I would, in all probability, be disappointing you. And yet I feel the need to narrate my experience. Not because I want others to take lessons from it. But because I want others to avoid what I didn't avoid and pursue what I couldn't pursue. This is merely a story of hope, of patience, of isolation and at the most, of perseverance.

It all began in the summer of 2002. I'd just come back from the boarding school after having finished my matriculation. The days of disciplined life were thankfully over. No more 6'o clock rousers or 9'o clock preps. Home was heaven. Or at least it felt so, until my father dropped the bombshell, "What now?". Frankly, I had no clue. I'd been so engrossed in my everyday routine, board examinations and declamation contests that I'd never really given it much thought. Yet, the crucial time was now upon me. In those days, making a career choice was relatively simple. You took up Medical subjects in Plus one, if you wanted to be a Doctor. You took up Non-Medical if you wanted to be an Engineer. You took up Commerce if you wanted to be a business-person. And you took up Arts, if you wanted to be a loser. I picked Arts, and Medical was thrust upon me. No parent wants an unsuccessful child, right? And thus began my journey to jump from one professional option to another, having absolutely no clue about any but having relatively some idea of them all.

1. When I wanted to be a Doctor- 'A Doctor is the savior of lives. He is only next to God. It is a respectable profession. It does not have a retirement age. You can practice throughout your life, irrespective of your whereabouts.'- This was essentially a gist of the pre-medical advice I was rendered. The foresightedness of my loved ones was obviously the true determiner of my future. My myopic vision could only see laboratories, endless experiments and dissections worth throwing up. I clearly remember my first day in class. Physics disgusted me because it was the sister arm of Maths. I could never bring myself to balance both sides of an equation in Chemistry. And Biology was, well, embarrassing. The teacher's crude explanation of human anatomy, appeared filled to the brim with sexual innuendo. The boys winked at one another while the girls suppressed their smiles by putting up a straight face. Back home, everybody read the 'Reproduction' chapter over and over again, only to be repeatedly shocked and sensationalized by it.(Somehow, I feel this is what today's 'Breaking News' concept primarily relies upon. Shock, Repetition, Sensationalization). The solo class that I truly enjoyed was English. Our teacher was a stern South Indian man with a heavy Tamil accent. This challenged my level of linguistic understanding on very many levels. While on one hand, I had to deal with raising my vocabulary standard, on the other, I had to find a common ground between all that I'd previously learned and all that I was currently learning. I suppose I was one of those few rebels, who read Dickens wrapped in a thick brown paper and stamped, "Physics Notes". This is exactly what brought my percentage down to a meager 55 in the first year. I was rendered a 'Hopeless' case, an 'Average' student. For someone who was used to being featured in the top ten, this came as a shock. I instantly broke up with Dickens and hooked up with Newton, who, in due course of time, turned out to be an excessively dis-interesting partner. Nevertheless, I pretended to fall in love with Science- hiding my misery behind numericals and killing my hope with test tubes. As a result, I passed out with a staggering 78 percent. It would not take a genius to guess that English (where I scored a healthy 91/100) had provided the requisite thrust to my percentage. As is the convention with most medical pass outs, I appeared for the PMT and qualified for BDS. By this time I'd realized that I did not want to poke around with people's bodies, and certainly not with their teeth. I was at a precipice again. What do I do? My father was hell bent on pushing me off the cliff to join the medical fraternity in the valley, while I was insistent upon retracing my steps and beginning anew. And this is when Ratan Tata caught my fancy.

2. When I wanted to be a Business Tycoon- - Isn't it a brilliant word,'Tycoon'? So strong, sturdy and powerful. Almost, Godly. At the age of 16, the best way to turn on a rebellious stance was by defying the wishes of my parents. They asked me to look East, I looked West. They asked me to move South, I moved North. Add to it a dislike for higher studies in the Medical field and you get the sudden desire to do an MBA. I revolted against the 2 years of forced studies and decided I was mature enough to make my own decisions. The parental government finally gave in to popular will and I ventured into the premises of a certain University,(I suppose it will be sensible to keep its name under wraps), in order to do an undergraduate course in Business Administration. I figured this was my best bet. This way, I could pursue my love for Literature and yet earn enough money to keep me afloat. Unfortunately, Business was nothing as I'd hoped it would be. It had no glamour, no riches and no takers- unless you were shrewd enough to extract these out of it. I was not. And I'd realized this soon enough. However,giving up now would mean a loss of face. I felt my parents would never trust me to make a sound decision again and why should they? Wasn't I the one who'd fought my way out of Medical and chosen Business? I'd made my choice and I had no option but to live with its consequences. While I was struggling with the monotony and frustration which'd begun to define my everyday life, a bolt struck out of the blue. The University was de-recognized by an order of the Supreme Court. In an instant, my future hung loose in the gallows of jeopardy. The struggle to get through the trivialities of life had all of a sudden turned into a struggle for survival. The implications soon began to settle in. A lot of time, money and effort had been wasted. I ran from nook to corner, but to no avail- The University was clearly shutting shop. And that is when I realized the gravity of my blunder. A silent pin had pricked the balloon of my bloated ego.


They say when you have nowhere else to run, you run back to the mastership. And that is exactly what I did. One week and my life was completely transformed. From the searing heat of Pathankot where this college was located, I found myself in the soothing lap of Dharamshala, where a new college awaited me. In order to save an year from going down the drain, I was granted late admission with subjects I'd never dream of taking in the normal course of events- Geography and Public Administration. I cursed myself and gave in to my destiny, not realizing that blessings usually came in the form of a disguise. It was during my first year in college that a fleeting thought of IAS, struck me. I dismissed it as another reckless opinion of an infantile mind. However, by the time I appeared for my third year exams, my belief in civil services being a final career choice, had begun to take shape. And this is when I made another brash decision.

3. When I wanted to be on Television- - This time, my decision led me to the heart of India,or as they call it- Delhi. I chose Mass Communication as my subject for Post-Graduation and came to believe that this would be my final calling. Not only did the choice help me vent out my creative energies but it also provided me an opportunity to do everything that I ever wanted to do- Write, Read, Speak. Marvel & Excel. Things went on in an amazing manner until I was allocated to a certain channel in order to pursue my internship. That changed everything. I will not name the TV channel lest they take offense at the kind of treatment I was meted out. Nevertheless, my dreams were shattered on the very first day. It began as a jovial interview after which I was ushered into the Production room so that I could get a hang of how things worked on Ground Zero. As I entered, I felt an unseasonal chill. The room was exceptionally cold and the four people inside were wearing shawls. The artificial cooling, I was told, was undertaken to keep humidity away from production equipment. A heavy set man, probably in his mid-forties was supervising the four interns. He looked at me warily and asked me to stand at a corner and observe how others were working. I could not contain my thrill, as I traced my steps to a far off corner of the room. The way their hands moved on the control panel, The way they consistently spoke on headphones, The noise, The cheer- Watching it all caused a flutter in my belly. I was soon going to be a part of this world! At about 6 PM, the shift ended. A rerun of some poorly crafted astrology show was put up, while the four interns packed up and left.
"Sit on the Panel", the man instructed me, "I"ll teach you how to control it before the next set of interns come in".
I happily made my way to the revolving chair. As I settled, he came up behind me and pointed towards the screen. "Don't take your eyes off it", he said, "And move your hands as I tell you to". With this he placed his hands over mine and brought his face so close that I could feel his breath on my neck.
"You have a beautiful smile", were the next words that he uttered, "How about coming in for the night shift tomorrow?".
The question hung mid-air. It was as if a noose had been tightened around my neck. But, That was the last straw. I got up, turned back and angrily whispered, "Don't you dare", before I picked up my stuff and stormed out of the room. By the time I reached college, the story was already known to them. However, the version they'd been told by the channel related a trivial argument over not being offered a chair. I was beckoned to the Director's office and offered some harsh words. They never asked me my version, I did not bother to explain. I consoled myself simply with the fact that I was not going to let an idiot ruin either my career or my peace of mind. I went on to complete my course, do another internship and isolate myself for an year to prepare for civil services.

Today, when I look back at the last ten years of my life, I realize the importance of whatever happened, whenever it did. Had I not taken up Science then, it would've been very difficult for me to revisit it during my preparation. Had not the Business college been de-recognized, I wouldn't have been pushed towards taking subjects which later served as my optionals. Had I not had that 'experience' during post-graduation, I would've never discovered my zeal to set things right. All my life, I'd tried to break free, not realizing that I didn't really want to do so. All I ever wanted was to pull the chains off and yet stay put to exercise my will and assert my rights- as an individual response and as a collective force.

If you've reached till the very last of this terribly long blog post, let me only state this- As I enter upon a new phase of my life this September, I will try to live up to the standards I have set for myself and the expectations others have tagged unto me. I've had my share of struggles, my chunk of battles- unwise,immature,foolish but as an Officer of the Indian Administrative services, I will yearn to become the voice of the unheard, the light of the unseen and the compassion of the unkind.

Amen!












Comments

  1. By Default just loved it! You know what you can put even a simple story into mind blowing act. But when the story is so true, so pure that many people can identify themselves to it, it is bound to be an awesome piece of writing.

    It was great to go through different shades of your life and know How you have realized the vision, the passion and the kind nature for which we all admire you. All these odd experiences of yours have turned you into a glowing gem who can light the way of many others with his inspiration and positive attitude. This is not what I am saying but what can be felt by everyone and conveyed by the last line of your post, it just took my heart away. Hope you get success in this noble mission of yours and make India a better place to live. (y)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, Thank you for reading Daisy. You have always been very, very kind with your words. I do not deserve a lot of things that you've just said, but since you feel it, I accept it with all my heart. I've merely tried to present an honest picture of what happened. If it can render inspiration to others, I'd be more than satisfied. You being a teacher can very well understand what I really want to convey.
      Once again, Thanks for sparing the time :). Much appreciated.

      Delete
  2. 'Battered, Bittered, Bettered'-- Beautiful!!
    It takes a lot of guts to revisit one's past. I must say you a got a warrior's heart. Be wise.
    May God bless you.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your response. I really don't think this has anything to do with being a warrior or being strong. It is only about sticking to the truth and ensuring its prevalence over everything else. Thanks yet again :)

      Delete
  3. Dear Akil,
    It has always been an absolute pleasure reading your blog, and this post evoked the very same feelings in me. Furthermore, this will eliminate the need of a ghost writer when you publish your memoirs someday :)

    Experience and hard work maketh the man, and your rationality and logic driven thinking are evident in the write up. I instantly connected with your medical bit, except the fact that I joined the BDS course and poked around a fair bit of people's teeth

    Long story short, do keep up the good work, and it is my belief, that you will come out strong, because of the triangle of qualities that you exude - honesty, morality and simplicity. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and responding, Aneen. I knew you were a Doctor but a Dentist, Ah! Not bad at all, Sir. :D. I truly respect the words you have used, despite my inhibitions of considering myself brave enough. Will try my level best. Thanks again :)

      Delete
    2. Hey Aneen!

      Thank you so much for reading and responding. I knew you were a Doctor, but a Dentist, Ah! Wonderful. Having been there, I can totally understand what its like. :D.
      Thank you for reposing this faith in me. I truly don't think I am deserving of such words, but I respect you for having said them. Thanks yet again :) Stay blessed, Punk.

      Delete
  4. Very well written. Its about midnight here and I intended to sleep some fifteen odd minutes ago, then decided to have one fleeting glance at fb and here I am reading your blog! I am very pleased that I did. You have a fantastic and a very engaging style of narration.Would love to read more. Kudos noni:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Priyanka di. If this could keep you up for fifteen minutes in the night, it surely must be worth something. I will keep writing about the things I admire, associate with and genuinely feel about. Thanks yet again :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for reading Priyanka di. If this could keep you awake for fifteen long minutes, it surely must be worth something. Thanks for the wonderful words. I will try to keep writing things I strongly feel about. :)

      Delete
  5. Akil Boss, I just learnt that the person I am with on the twitter for last couple of years, has realized his dream. Live upto ur own expectations bro :)U made us all so proud :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa. Thanks Faisal. One can only try :).

      Delete
  6. Mr. Bakshi

    Well written.Very inspiring.I read ur blog Don't count what u lost but instead cherish what u hav and plan what u want to gain. In every good work trust thy own soul; for this is the keeping of the commandments.Stay blessed.I would lv to read more n more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and responding. I am glad you found it inspiring. I will continue to write about things that move me. :)

      Delete
  7. Excellent post Akil...Your best one so far...Not cause it tells about your personal experience but cause this one is layered...On the face of it,I was laughing reading about the experiences you were going through but at the same time it was provoking many new thoughts and feeling inside me...Best wishes for your new found career..!! -Sumit Kashyap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and responding Sumit. They say, whatever you write from the heart, always clicks. I've just penned down what happened. I am genuinely glad you liked it.

      Delete
  8. so Akil... i am your biggest fan!! if that sums up...and if ever comes a book authored by you....the first copy will be bought bymyself! :) proud..happy aNd must admit..BRILLIANT piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thank you so much for reading Mam. It feels amazing to see your comment here. I've grasped the art of writing short sentences by the assignments you gave us in class :D. If I ever write a book, you'll surely get the first copy. HaHa. Thanks a zillion, again :)

      Delete
  9. Superbly written... :) you express (write) your thoughts so easily. Gifted. I liked the way you explained your past.....look at me.. here I'm struggling to give a good reply ;)

    Nisar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Nisar. You aren't struggling to give a good reply at all. It is the intent that matters. Words are only a medium. Thanks brother :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the kinds words, Nisar. So long as the intent is right, I can understand the authenticity behind your reply :).
      Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  10. Hey........... good one........ keep writing... u got nice grip on language.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Modi Mirage.

The Real world of Fake pictures

You, Yes YOU are Corrupt